Reading time: 3 Minutes
Whether you own, rent, or are simply coming into town as a visitor, chances are you’ll be caught up in the excitement of the Commonwealth Games when they arrive in Birmingham this July.
We know we’re excited about it – after all, how often do you get the chance to watch some of the world’s most talented athletes, right on your doorstep? But we’re also excited about the chance to celebrate Birmingham, a storied city whose impact has rippled across the globe. So, what are some of the highlights to look out for during Birmingham 2022? We went for a little explore to find out:
- Ever dreamed of having your own key to the city? Usually handed out by the Council or Lord Mayor, and reserved for visiting dignitaries, now you can be one of the chosen few. Part of the Birmingham 2022 Festival, this event runs from May 28 to August 7 and is a free event, with no need to register. Simply show up at the Key Exchange Ceremony site, located at Birmingham New Street station, and either receive your own key to the city, or give one to someone else. Best of all, you get an actual key which allows you access to 21 hidden sites across the city, including underground tunnels, private gardens, and a locked museum drawer. Intrigued? Find out more here:
- Interested in learning more about Birmingham and getting some fresh air at the same time? For locals and visitors alike, this self-guided walking tour takes in some of Birmingham’s most famous sights, as well as a few out-of-the-way places you may not know about. It’s great way to explore the city when you’re not cheering on athletes, plus comes with the added bonus of a ‘treasure’ hunt! For more information:
- Usually a showcase of athletes, music, theatre and dance, there’s a reason the Opening and Closing ceremonies are among the most popular events at any sports festival, and we’re sure this Commonwealth Games will be no exception. Of course, this also means that tickets are scarce, but you can still get your cheer on and join the party via big screen at two dedicated Festival sites, one at Victoria Square and the second at Smithfield, plus a further seven neighbourhood sites. So pack yourself a hamper, take a folding chair or two and head down to the festival to cheer on the home team!
For more info https://www.birmingham2022.com/festival/sites
- If you’re over 21 and you love cocktails, then the 2022 Birmingham Cocktail Weekend is the perfect way to sample drinks at bars across the city, as well as a great lead-in celebration for the upcoming Games. Simply purchase your ticket at The Mailbox, and you’ll be given a wristband that grants you an exclusive signature cocktail at venues across the city, as well as access to associated events. For more information visit: https://birminghamcocktailweekend.co.uk/
- Of course, you can join the crowds and watch world-class athletes battle it out for Games glory. It’s only once in a lifetime that such an important sports events comes to town, and there are tickets still available via the official Commonwealth Games website, starting at £8 for under-16s and £16 for adults. Who knows, you could be there to see history in the making! For more information, visit: https://www.birmingham2022.com/tickets
- Athletics during the day and theatre in the evening? Why not? After all, Birmingham is home to some truly excellent theatre and live music venues, attracting some of the biggest names in the world of entertainment. From the hilarious Sarah Millican to the lush beauty of Rachmaninoff, there’s truly something for every entertainment lover during July and August. Head to https://visitbirmingham.com/whats-on and browse a spectacular array of shows.
So there you have it – Birmingham has long been a city known for its creativity, hard work and diversity, making it the perfect venue in which to host the Commonwealth Games. So get out there and make the most of it – how lucky we are to call it home!